Sunday, September 18, 2016

Journal II

The way we display images, with framing and perspective, can convey emotions, feelings, even entire stories in just one shot. The story one gets from an image be totally different depending on the angle and how much of the background the viewer can see.


This first image is taken from a lower angle in order to make the subject seem "larger than life". I imagined the subject to be a strong ruler, someone who was in a position of power. I can see her as a ruler on the show Game of Thrones, which is well known for it's ruthless characters. When asked, "What is going on in this photo?", a close friend replied that the subject seemed to be in a position of power. The person in the photo seems to be emotionally "above everyone else/aloof" as well as physically above the camera. 


To contrast the previous picture, this image is taken from a much higher and wider angle in order to make the subject seem small and helpless. I imagined the story surrounding this photo to be a sad one. Clearly this character has faced much adversity and it has brought her to her knees. When I asked the interviewee about the photo, she stated that the subject  "seems to be attempting to find comfort in herself" and that she is "shielding herself from attack". 

This image is framed much closer to the subject's face, focusing on the amicable expression on the subject's face. It is also at an unusual angle, suggesting spontaneity and silliness. I imagined the story behind this image to be similar to that of a sitcom; a bunch of friends having "wacky" adventures in a big city.  The interviewee stated that the subject seemed to be very "playful and funny", "like she was trying to blow a kiss/ make a fish face". 

I found I was having a lot of trouble finding a frame for this photo. Although I thought the angle at which I took the photo was appropriate, I thought it mimicked the angle of the "power pose" too closely. However, after I re-analyzed the photo, I really liked the lighting. I felt that it gave the subject a type of ethereal light. The pose itself displays some type of enlightenment, like the subject has reached a new level of meditation. The interviewee said that the subject was "practicing an act of self calm". 


This final image is taken straight on, with the subject meant to be right in the center if focus. Contrasting, the facial expression is meant to seem unfocused or distracted. I imagined the story behind this image to be rather uneventful and relaxed, just as the pose of the subject uneventful and relaxed. This photo was the only image which the interviewee's answer did not match the intention behind the photo. Her answer reflected that she felt the subject was bothered or angry about something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment